This is Chapter 16 of the book ‘Investor’s Guide to Coin Laundries’, compiled in 2012 by Jay McDonald, Vice President, Distributor Sales for Alliance Laundry Systems.
An Investor’s Guide to Coin Laundries | Resources | Chapter 16
Alliance Laundry Systems is the largest manufacturer of commercial laundry equipment in the world and has over 50 years of experience in helping investors just like you, get started in the coin laundry market. This book is a compilation of experiences, ideas and input from hundreds of successful coin laundry owners and distributors from all over the world. Taking data and industry knowledge, it is a road map to help you succeed. At the end of it, you will have a general understanding of the industry and what it will take to operate a successful business.
A NOTE ON COIN-OPERATED LAUNDRIES IN SOUTHERN AFRICA
In Southern Africa, coin laundries are typically found in flats or townhouse complexes, caravan parks, holiday resorts and universities. Historically coin-operated activation systems have supported these laundries. However, this system is largely being replaced by our LaundryConnect Cashless Payment Gateway, which is convenient, hassle-free and the way of the future. It is easy to integrate or replace your existing coin mechanism in order to offer cashless payments or to use a card to activate machines.
What Did we Miss?
Chapter 16 : WHAT DID WE MISS?
While this book provides you with a great start to learning about the coin laundry industry, it is by no means the only source of information that you should rely on. To make sure you are well rounded and knowledgeable in your business approach, we can not stress enough how important it is to put together the right team of people.
Your distributor, your attorney, your insurance agent, your lender and your accountant can all work together to help provide you with the knowledge you need to succeed. Together, this team of experts will guide you through each area of their own personal expertise.
Because you will be working with them for a long time, it is extremely important that you hire the right team. They should have experience, personalities and work styles that mesh well with your own.
We hope this book has provided you with a foundation to develop the framework for getting started in the coin laundry industry, but one source is never enough to provide success. As you continue to move through the process of investigating opening a coin laundry, do your due diligence. Read industry publications, look for other books on owning and operating a coin laundry, books on marketing and human resources, etc. And as you develop questions, bring them to your team of experts. Together, you can build a plan that is the right fit for you and your goals!
- Coin Laundry Association; www.coinlaundry.org
- Environmental Protection Agency; www.epa.gov
- Clean Show, www.cleanshow.com
- Your local Chamber of Commerce
- Your state’s Department of Workforce Development
- SCORE (Senior Core of Retired Executives)
- American Bar Association, www.americanbar.org
- American Coin-Op, www.americancoinop.com
- U.S. Census, www.census.gov
- “Happiness is Owning a Laundromat” by Sally Collins
- “Coin Laundries – Road to Financial Independence: A Complete Guide to Starting and Operating a Profitable Self-Service Laundries” by Emerson G. Higdon
- “How to Write a Business Plan” by Mike McKeever
- “Social Media Marketing: Strategies for Engaging in Facebook, Twitter and Other Social Media” by Liana Evans
- “The New Rules of Marketing and PR: How to Use Social Media, Blogs, News Releases, Online Video, and Viral Marketing to Reach Buyers Directly,” by David Meerman Scott
- “How to Develop a Strategic Marketing Plan — A Step by Step Guide,”
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
JAY McDONALD has been active in the laundry industry for over 30 years. He is the Vice President, Distributor Sales for Alliance Laundry Systems, the largest manufacturer of commercial laundry equipment in the world. He also served on the board of directors for the Coin Laundry Association and received the Distinguished Service Award “in appreciation of his leadership in furthering the welfare and best interests of the coin laundry industry” in 2009.
SA’s FIRST COMPLETE CASHLESS PAYMENT SOLUTION
Laundry Connect offers an affordable and adaptable payment gateway that is fast becoming the system of choice. It is easy to integrate or replace your existing coin mechanism in order to offer cashless payments or to use a card to activate machines.